18 March 2014

Page & Screen Pairings: For the Rebel


I am a huge lover of dystopias so I was thrilled when my friend Kay requested movie matches for my new favourite dystopian series, Delirium. The world in Delirium, as in most dystopia, is a frightening one. But it also unique. In it, love is a sickness, something to be avoided and feared and cured and our MC, Lena, must decide if freedom and love are worth forsaking her family, her government and the safety of the cure.



Equilibrium: In the nation of Libria, the rules are simple. If you are happy, you are arrested. If you cry, you are hunted down. If you read an unapproved book or look at a painting, you are a criminal. To keep the peace, citizens must take their daily allotment of Prozium, a powerful drug designed to stop feelings and keep everyone in line. Refuse to take the drug... you will be found.

Pleasantville: David loves Pleasantville, the cult1950's sitcom. His sister Jennifer, however, is too cool to bother. When a mysterious TV repairman gives them a new remote , the pair are magically transported IN to the fictional town. For better or worse, they are trapped in the alternate black and white reality---a white bread world without passion or violence---and it's up to them to bring life and colour back into their world.

V for Vendetta: Evey lives in an oppressive world. When faced with a life-or-death situation, V, a masked vigilante, comes to her aide. Both charismatic and highly skilled, V ignites revolution against the totalitarian regime, urging his fellow citizens to fight against the tyranny of their government. As Evey uncovers the truth behind V's identity, she also learns the truth about herself, becoming an unlikely ally. Their fight---to bring freedom and justice to a society that now only knows cruelty and corruption. 



So, what do you think of my matches? Have you read this book or seen any of these movies? Are there any books/movies you'd like to have recommendations for? I want this to be an interactive feature so tell me what books/movies you'd like to see paired. As always, leave your thoughts in the comments below!

6 comments:

  1. Great matches, Nikki! I loved V for Vendetta and Pleasantville, although I have to admit I haven't read the Delirium books yet. Maybe I'll do the reverse and read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should, Tammy! Lauren Oliver is an amazing storyteller and the series gets more action packed and gritty with every book. I am hooked!

      Delete
  2. I forgot about Equilibrium, such a good movie and a perfect pairing! I shall now be watching that again soon. I actually don't think I've ever seen Pleasantville, that will now be changing. I don't know how I missed it, but I have you to help me out with that now. :) V for Vendetta is also a really good pairing, you are so good at this! I also haven't seen that one in forever, which means I'm now in the mood and must watch it soon. I know I have said it a million times now... but I love this feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Equilibrium is an incredibly underrated movie! Pleasantville is another really entertaining one, so I definitely recommend it. V for Vendetta is one of my favourite movies and I push it on everyone any chance that I get.

      So happy you're enjoying it, Kay! :)

      Delete
  3. I so want to read the Delirium books! There are never enough hours in the day. I have Before I Fall by this author on my shelves already. I was enthralled when I watched V for Vendetta. Loved it.
    Awww...Pleasantville...Paul Walker. That's a great one too.
    I know you loved Every Day by Leviathan, what about pairing that up with movies or book recommendations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust, these books and Oliver's writing are BEAUTIFUL! I just bought Before I Fall and am super excited to check it out. Hmm... Every Day will be a tough one but I'll see what I can work out! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete

You stay classy now! And thanks for stopping by. But mostly stay classy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...